Meet Mosaic District Progress Monitoring
by Valerie Schreiner
Posted: Jan 31, 2017
Today is a big day for Schoolzilla:
After a year and half of close collaboration with school systems across the country, we are excited to share two big announcements: the Mosaic platform and Mosaic District Progress Monitoring module.
Mosaic is a decision-making platform designed to help educators to overcome their most pressing challenges. With Mosaic, we’ve completely redesigned and rebuilt our approach to K-12 analytics. The hundreds of hours we spent listening to educators and school leaders have paid off: Beta users (including Alameda Unified, Lawrence Public Schools, Novato Unified School District, and St. Louis Public Schools) think Mosaic is “phenomenal.” Why the rave reviews?
- Simple, Human-Centered Design – Digging for the “why” should be fast and simple. When your school or school system isn’t meeting a goal, looking at your data in different ways can help you understand why. Your data tools need to help you look for those critical insights. Otherwise, your team’s efforts to find the right intervention can stall. DPM makes it easy to flip through different views of your metric data to get those critical answers: How does this compare to last year? Is this true for all demographic groups? Which schools have figured this out, or need more support?
- Real-time – Everyone in a school system needs real-time data on key metrics of success so they know what’s working. The research is clear: there are some metrics (like chronic absence, suspensions, and GPA) that are strongly predictive of long-term outcomes (like high school and college graduation) for the students that we all care about. Everyone working in schools should have clear data on those critical metrics, and that data must be real time so your team can intervene immediately when schools or students go off-track. Mosaic gives everyone on your team up-to-date data on your district’s most important success metrics so your team members can see whether they’re on the right track in time to adjust. That kind of clear outcome data and real-time feedback is critical to building a culture of continuous improvement.
- Customizable, Deep-Dive Dashboards – While Mosaic supports native configuration, you may want still want a flexible reporting platform that enables you to answer additional questions that arise or test new hypotheses. For this reason, we offer a Mosaic extension that allows users to create, save, and link custom deep-dive reports to their Mosaic dashboards.
About District Progress Monitoring:
District Progress Monitoring (DPM), is the first module we are releasing on the Mosaic platform. DPM helps you track key performance indicators (KPIs) and goals for your district, schools, and students. With DPM you can implement your district’s strategic plan, monitor and improve performance on your state’s accountability system, and share progress with your team, school board, and community.
- Research-Backed Methodology – DPM incorporates findings from an extensive review of the leading academic research on district performance management. We’ve synthesized our findings from leading research studies to create a cohesive Mosaic module that informs the daily decisions needed to foster continuous improvement on key goals.
- Immediate, Actionable Insights – Data should tell a clear story instantly. DPM provides an at-a-glance view of all your key data points to immediately tell you where you’re on track and where you need to focus. It tells that story in a simple, intuitive way that’s clear to everyone, even the first time it’s used. We know because we have the data (naturally): Mosaic’s usability scores in the 99th percentile*.
- Understandable Updates For Your Community and Board -DPM allows you to showcase your progress with interactive district performance summaries that highlight key results and growth trends over time. These summaries are informed by insights from over 18 months spent working through cycles of ethnographic interviews and observations, product development, and real-world user testing. As a result, they are designed so that everybody can understand them, lightning-fast, and mobile-ready.
Multiple measures dashboards are having a moment. States across the country are redesigning their accountability systems and adding measures to comply with new requirements in the Every Student Succeeds Act. We, like many experts, applaud expanding what defines a good school beyond single measures like assessment proficiency. We also know that to be really useful for schools, multiple measures dashboards must be clear, actionable, and timely. We’re thrilled to be able to meet that need with the launch of Mosaic District Progress Monitoring.
Want to learn more about Mosaic and District Progress Monitoring?
* Usability assessed using the System Usability Scale https://www.usability.gov/how-to-and-tools/methods/system-usability-scale.html